Saturday, January 31, 2009

The End

Morning,

As I sit here in the store on my last day open to the public, I reflect on how I got here. Please bear with me as I travel down this nostalgic road.

It started way back with Ken and Janet brainstorming in their backyard while having a cook out. Running the numbers on whether can it really work or not. Then the name of the store, many decisions were made that day that led Larry and I down a new path.

There was Veronica who pestered me to follow thru on the perfect location for the store. I had said I would call to find out about the location and of course I blew her off. Veronica knew it was perfect and made sure I called and saw it. Veronica was right, I fell in love with it the day I actually did a walk thru. Our thanks to Claudette, too, for her advice.

The days that lead up to our opening were the most hectic I have ever encountered in my entire life. I can still remember everyone telling me, just breathe, remember to breathe, you can do it and we did.

To Ellen who I can clearly remember her saying, I do not sew, I do not make quilts, but I will help in the store. Who eventually learned the art of making quilts and even taught a class. Who had an amazing color sense. I am so proud of you and want to stay close.

To Ian who learned more about fabrics and notions in the fastest crash course he ever had. He worked the register system and entered it all. Ian's friend Dave even got shot-gun volunteered for a brief time. Cara's love and support too.

We enlisted the support of friends, too. Frank Shea and Bob Welch were always there when we called, and we called a lot.

Opening Day, my goodness that was nerve racking, but we all got thru it. My life has had many twists and turns thru these years. Larry and I have lost many loved ones in this short time. Too many in my opinion. We could not have kept going without your support. You all know who you are, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. The ladies who at one time or another and worked this store and those who taught here; if you did not know, let me tell you now how important you were to me.

I know I will continue being with many of you. My friendships will go beyond these walls and we will still get together. I have lunch dates set up with Julia and many others. I am proud there will be off shoots of this store. That some of you who started here and did not know each other have formed a bond that will continue. What a tribute.

Then of course last but not least Larry, my rock, my anchor, my guiding light, with broad shoulders to get me thru anything life tossed at us. There are not enough ways or words to say thank you.

Larry and I will have our week ends and nights free. We will be kept very busy, I am sure of it. We have several trips planned from now until October. To be free to travel again on the spur of the moment will be fun.

I will continue this blog and update it weekly. You can keep in touch with me and follow my new adventures his way. I will be keeping my email address.

As the song title goes, "Thanks For The Memories!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your story is precious. Enjoy your new life and I look forward to reading about it.

The best to you and your family!

Bag student